The World's Widest Aero Wheels
A wide tire needs a wide rim to avoid turbulence in the tire-rim transition, so the 3T Discus 45 | 40 is the first aero wheel designed for 35-40mm tires. A 29mm internal width makes your chosen tire even wider & reduces tire flop.
After testing two dozen prototype wheels in the tunnel, the Discus 45 | 40 LTD was born. 45mm deep for good aerodynamics without excessive crosswind vulnerability. 40mm wide to match up those 35-40mm tires. The result is speed never seen before on gravel roads. And while the shape is optimized for the 3T Exploro, the Discus 45 | 40 LTD makes any gravel bike faster.
Similar to other 3T wheels, the Discus 45 | 40 uses the NoseTail design to squeeze 60mm deep rim performance in a 45mm profile.
By definition rim design is a compromise, because whatever shape is aerodynamic on the front half doesn't work so well 180 degrees later when it's backwards. The NoseTail shape was developed by the legendary Dave Kennedy (an aerodynamics professional for over 50 years) and 3T's Head of Design Gerard Vroomen. The NoseTail actually sacrifices some performance on the front half of the wheel in favor of working better on the back half.
Not only do the two effects cancel each other out, but the resulting shape also requires less rim depth and better guides the airflow from the rear of the front wheel onto the downtube. This is particularly helpful on the Exploro RaceMax where the downtube is positioned in close proximity to the front tire.
- HUGE INNER WIDTH: At 29mm, the Discus 45 | 40 has by far the widest inner width of any (aero) gravel rim. That means less tire flop, so your cornering is more precise as the tire doesn't roll over the rim's edge. A big inner width also means you can run a lighter, narrower tire for the same WAM.
- HOOKED ON SAFETY: Hookless designs save a few grams and are a good choice for low-pressure applications. But at higher pressure, hooked rims provide additional safety.
- SAFETY RIDGE: With tubeless tires, rolling resistance is lower and flats are very rare. But when you do flat your road or gravel tire, a safety ridge keeps the tire on the rim for safety and to avoid damage.
- CARBON-TI HUBS: Carbon-Ti makes some of the lightest and most sophisticated hubs in the bike industry in Italy, same as 3T. They've used them for a long time on previous wheels and decided that with the Discus 45 | 40 LTD being the ultimate wheels, they deserved the ultimate hubs.
- SEALANT-RESISTANT: You may have heard of wheels destroyed by aggressive sealant. That's why 3T use chrome-plated brass nipples (much more durable than alloy) with stainless steel washers & spokes. For best results, we recommend avoiding alkaline sealants with ammonia or sodium hydroxide.
- Rim size: ETRTO 622 x 29c, (28"/700c) 40mm wide, 45mm deep
- Rim Spec: Tubeless-Ready Clincher, specific angle drilling
- Rim material: Unidirectional carbon - ultralight layup
- Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray or D-Light Straight-pull, stainless steel. black finish, double butted, 24 Front/24 Rear
- Hubs: Carbon-Ti Hubs
- Nipples: Sapim chrome-plated brass
- Front Hub spec: Thru-axle 100x12mm
- Rear Hub spec: Thru-axle 142x12mm
- Rear Hub compatibility: 10/11s Shimano HG or SRAM XDR Driver body included
- Wheel weight (+/- 5%): 1665g
FREE Cassette Installation - Order a cassette along with a wheelset and we can install the cassette for free. Cassette installation requires special tools that not all our customers have. The cassette will be professionally installed and torqued to spec. Just add "Please install cassette" to your order notes at checkout and we'll take care of you. Please Note: If our inventory allocation requires that we ship your wheels and cassette from different warehouses, we will not be able to offer this service.
Returns: This product is overweight and/or oversize and does not qualify for our fixed rate return shipping label. If you need to return this item, we can offer a return shipping label at our discounted shipping rates, or you can arrange for your own return shipping.
B-Stock - This product has one or more B-Stock units available. These units can be purchased at a discount (see option select). B-Stock units were returned from other customers and may have missing or damaged packaging materials. These units are otherwise as new. The full manufacturer warranty applies. Click Here for more information.
Signature will be required when taking delivery of this product.
Brake Compatibility: Centerlock Disc
Tire Compatibility: Clincher Tubeless Ready
Wheel Features: Disc Brake Compatible
Shimano HG 11sp - 12x100/12x142, Centerlock
Cassette Type: Shimano 11
Mfg PartNum: 9009DQAM81L-SHI
Sram XDR - 12x100/12x142, Centerlock
Mfg PartNum: 9009DQAM81L-xd
Cassette Type: XDR
Articles will open in new tab.