I purchased this Garmin Edge 510 bundle to replace a Garmin Edge 500 I had on my other road bike. I sold the 500 in anticipation of getting the new 510. Mistake!! Let me tell you a few things about this product, and why you may want to consider sticking with the basics.
1. The directions for the Garmin Edge 510 are very vague. There's pretty much a lack of thorough written directions. What directions there are in writing, must have been done in China. You'd think with an expensive GPS computer, that someone from Garmin could write directions step by step from a user's point of view.
2. As I was having problems setting up the computer, I decided to visit Garmin's website for support. Again, not a very user-friendly website, just like the directions that came with it. The links they have pretty much take you back to the basic support page for the product and is pretty useless.
3. I bought the bundle with the premium HRM and cadence. The 510 would not recognize neither the HRM and cadence sensor.
4. The touch screen is not very good. Sometimes, I'd have to press very hard to get it to respond. There are a few setup screens that require you to input letter or numbers, but when you push on the numbers or letters directly, you may get a different letter than what you pushed. It took me several attempts to try to find the right spot to get the letter or number I wanted to input. Not good.
5. Too many features than I need. Maybe some other cyclists can use all the widgets this thing has, but I personally only care about the time I've been pedaling, distance, heart rate, and a few other bits of data.
6. Backlight not too bright. You have options how long you'd like the backlight to stay on, but I can tell you, when that backlight goes off, the 510 is pretty dim. The backlight button on the left hand side of the GPS is pretty hard to engage. I couldn't imagine trying to struggle to engage the light and still keep control of the bike.
After spending nearly four frustrating hours of trying to set up the computer, I gave up. I'm returning this product back to WBW and am going back to just getting either a basic 500 or possibly the 800.
Thank you for your feedback.
You have already submitted a vote for this review.